What is personal information?
Personal information is information about an individual. It includes information that relates to your personal characteristics (eg. gender, age, income, home address, phone number(s), ethnic background, religion, family status, etc.), or your health (eg. health history, health conditions, health services, etc).
Your business information, when used for business contact purposes (eg. address, phone number, etc.), is not considered personal information and therefore is not affected by privacy legislation.
Collection and use
Personal information collected from patients of this practice shall be limited to that required to:
• Evaluate your chiropractic health
• Determine and recommend appropriate treatment and referral
• Communicate with you about the services we provide
• To advise you about your health care needs
• Provide you with eye-care, chiropractic, health or other product or treatment information
• Process payment and pursue collection of accounts receivable for services and produced received from our clinic.
• Communicate with others (eg. other health care providers, lawyers, third party insurers, etc.) about your health and status.
• In the course of providing eye or chiropractic care services to you, your personal information may be disclosed where required or allowed by law and may also be disclosed to:
• Other health care providers
• Insurers or other third party payers you have identified
• Regulatory authorities, where such information may assist in the investigation of a complaint or a review of standards of care
• Governmental authorities (eg. CCRA, Privacy Commissioner, Human Rights Commission, etc.) who have it in their mandate to access your file
• Our practice’s lawyers, accountants, information managers or other consultants contracted to provide advice or counsel regarding the administration or management of the practice.
• On termination of sale of the practice, to a purchasing optometrist or chiropractor or file storage facility that agrees to serve as trustee of your personal information and to only access this information for the purpose of confirming their custody of your file, unless you initiate contact as a patient
The disclosure of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purpose for which it is disclosed. All the above noted external parties have the same legal responsibility as this practice to protect all personal information collected in the course of their activities.
Access and destruction of personal information
You have the right to access your personal information as any reasonable time (eg. during regular office hours) and have the right to request corrections to your personal information. This applies to factual information and not professional opinions we may have recorded. Corrections are recorded on your patient file. If our office does not agree with the corrections, we will include a brief statement on your file recording both opinions.
Reasonable safeguards will be taken whenever paper and electronic records are destroyed or deleted. Every reasonable effort will be made to ensure that no record remains after destruction.
Our office collects and uses email address for the purpose of sending information, recall letters, appointment reminders, referral information (only at the patients request) and for our online newsletters. Our online newsletter is optional and we allow patients to up in or out. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe button on any email newsletter you receive. Emails sent for patient correspondence and exam appointment reminders are sent for your personal benefit as we want you to be aware of your eye exam appointments. If you would like to be removed from receiving these emails we ask that your contact our office directly. Because email is not completely secure, we never send medical information or medical attachments, except at the consent of the patient.
If you are receiving our email newsletter it is because you voluntarily provided us with your email address and consent while in our office, or through our online signup forms. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may unsubscribe at any time. Their is an unsubscribe button on the bottom of every email newsletter, please click on the link and follow the directions.
Do you have a question?
You may reach us at email@example.com