Suppose you have a rocket – an incredibly sophisticated and complex machine – and you are planning the voyage of a lifetime to Mars. A trip like that will require all sorts of supplies. You will certainly need fuel – but what kind? Your rocket will need huge amounts of energy to journey to Mars, so you will want to get the best fuel around. Before you go shopping, you need to know what components premium fuel should (and shouldn’t) contain. You also need to have a solid understanding of how your rocket works, and how it burns its fuel otherwise it could lead to a sense of feeling weak and early exhaustion. I did not have this understanding as a teenager in competitive sport, which amplified physical breakdown, and the eventual diagnosis by medical doctors of Metabolic Muscular Dystrophy when I was in my second year of University at Western Ontario in London.
Adrenal exhaustion is in schools and workplaces across our country and is one of the main reasons why your ROCKET stops working. No other gland in our body is affected more by stress, emotional strain and anger than these small glands that rest on top of our kidneys. Responsible for the complex production and regulation of steroid hormones in our body like cortisone, progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone, they help maintain our daily hormonal balance and regulation of sugar metabolism.
When you’re under pressure, the adrenal medulla secretes adrenalin and norepinephrine. These chemicals from within accelerate heart rate, respiration and perspiration in a fight or flight response which is vital to our survival. They protect our body and temporarily increase our resistance to stress. Unfortunately, left at high levels over time, they can lead to unhealthy cravings and suppression of our immune system. If the adrenals release too few or too many hormones, exhaustion or overstimulation can result. Relentless pressure leads to strain and with it, the use of pain medications which include our daily doses of caffeine, alcohol & sugar just to get through our day. Meanwhile, the adrenal glands remain exhausted and so do you. As the cycle continues we feel out of sorts and very often, we end up on anti-depressants or as children we end up on psychotropic drugs like Ritalin, just to function and get through the day.
It may surprise you to know that you DO have a rocket, and you ARE currently on the voyage of a lifetime: your body is the fantastic machine in which you are journeying through your life. And your body certainly deserves premium quality fuel, because a good life requires a lot of energy! But many of us are unsure about what we should eat and drink to keep ourselves healthy and full of vitality.
How can we make this simple?
- Keep Your Balance: pay attention to how much fat, protein and carbohydrate are in the foods you are eating and try not to eat too much of any of each. As a general rule of thumb, better to eat more carbohydrates in the morning and more protein later in the day.
- Water Works: plenty of water is essential to overall body functioning. Any hint of yellow in your urine means you need more especially for those with “dehydrating” habits.
- Caffeine Craze & Sugar Alert: Take the time to reduce your daily intake of caffeine and sugar (especially the fake kind) in your life. These harmful substances are toxic and create cravings that keep you from being more clear and on purpose with your day.
- Exercise Your Options: Regular exercise helps pump oxygen through your body so you can metabolize well everything you eat. Eating well must be accompanied by daily moderate exercise
- Super Nutrients are better than Supplements: Foods that reduce inflammation & mineral loss are critical to improving metabolism and shortening healing times like grapefruit, pineapples, papayas, cold water fish & spicy Indian food, to name a few.
- Start From the Inside Out: Remember that your digestive system is operated by your nervous system! If the nervous system is compromised due to a misaligned spine, your body can’t properly process your food. Get your spine checked by a chiropractor….you’ll be glad you did!
For more information, attend our complimentary “Eat to Live Well” workshop, Wed. October 24th, 6pm at VC. Call 905-850-0909 to reserve your seat.