Almond Protein Bars are a great staple that make a wonderful treat, but you do need to make sure that they stay cold. Pack with a small icepack if travelling with them.
Makes 20 to 24 squares
- 2 cups raw almonds
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 scoops of organic whey protein, flavor of your choice
- ½ cup raw almond butter
- raw nuts and raw nut butters such as macademia (optional)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon of stevia, (equivalent to approximately 1/2 cup of sugar). Taste and adjust to your liking.
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (No sugar – check the label)
- 8 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and sweetened to taste with stevia and cinnamon
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, Organic Whey Protein, almond butter and salt in a food processor. Add in raw nuts and raw nut butters as desired.
- Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat.
- Remove coconut oil from stove; stir stevia and vanilla into oil.
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste.
- Press mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish. (Parchment paper liner helps you remove the bars from the dish.)
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate. Stirring in stevia and cinnamon.
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars, and serve.
Original recipe available on GoodFood.com